Monday, March 21, 2011

Dubai here we come.....

Just a little different in size and the houses are pretty similar.... what was I thinking!
Dubai was truly an eye opener for me that there is life outside NZ and that futuristic cities do exist, it was exciting to see technology, architecture and a man made world developing before our eyes.
Our trip started off with a bit of entertainment, as we took a taxi from Al Ain to Dubai which is like Nelson to golden bay - 1 1/2 hrs and it cost us 300 dirham - not bad we thought.  Our taxi ride was not uneventful as the taxi driver annoyed another driver by pulling into the fast traffic lane with little warning and he was rather angry about it all. He chased us down the 5 lane highway for 10 minutes, trying to ram us off the road and hurling abuse, then finally he forced us to pull over, there were several loud discussions between the two drivers and the police were called.  In my innocence I thought we could possibly all be thrown in jail, but luckily the police told them to sort it out as there was no accident.  So we finally got on our way again.  High adventure for me as my imagination had run amuck for sure.
I was very impressed with our hotel and our room on the 17th floor, which welcomes us in as opened the door, the view was pretty impressive too.  Check it out.
Puts life in perspective really, and our minute existence as you are surrounded by massive skyscrapers and 5 lane highways which are multi layered but also beautifully constructed with unique pillars supporting each structure.

The 8th floor had a very impressive roof top swimming pool and we a couple of early morning swims, followed by breakfast on that floor.


Our adventures were just about to begin, have to say that Nelson to Dubai was quite a mind shift and it took me a few hours to ground myself and not feel overwhelmed but wowed!  I think I might be conquering my fear of heights after this trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment