Monday, March 21, 2011

Did I say high?




Pete was particularly excited about the Burj Kalefa which is the tallest building in the world, standing over 200 stories in a landscape of giants.  For me there was not quite as much excitement as apprehension, but as I tell children every day to face their challenges and grow their learning, how could I possibly refuse this challenge.  A magnificient structure standing tall and strong on the horizon so I stood and contemplated my next adventure, it helped knowing that Sue Allen had been up the tower and had told me a little about it.
Thanks Sue I really enjoyed the whole experience and a little bit of pre knowing helped me conquer my fear and do it anyway.  Pete was having a ball as we sped from the ground to 120th level in 1 minute and of course was keen to lean right out to get the best view.  My approach was more a looking out into the distance view, but still gave an amazing sense of height and the world below us.  Very cool, loved it and was pretty pleased with my endeavour to do it anyway.


So what was my problem with heights, these are the window cleaners on the Burj Kalefa, it is a fulltime job almost and you would have to wonder what they get paid in danger money.










Proof I got there.
My view looking outward.


Pete's view over the edge of the viewing platform.








The Burj Kalefa is beside the Dubai Mall which is massive and has the largest indoor aquarium with some very large fish.  Pete contemplated a dive in the tank but after the beautiful waters of Durville Island he decided not too.
There were some quite convincing fish in the tank and many of the varieties that we see in NZ.

We also had an opportunity to visit the indoor zoo in the mall and check out the jungle environment and some interesting creatures.

Looks a bit like me lazing by the pool, but I did get a chance to check out the jungle.




Dubai Mall was about 6 levels with a theme running through the layers with children's stuff on 1 layer and then clothing on another layer and so it goes.

There was also a massive ski field in the middle of the mall, which was large in size and we could see it from within the mall, with children and adults enjoying the ski slopes and ski challenges.  Only Dubai can do it this big.  If you think you have seen anything amazing Dubai do it tenfold.

Not to mention the gold souk - where gold and diamonds are very impressive.



No comments:

Post a Comment